Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Caring and Cooperative Class

THE CHILDREN IN ROOM 10 are VERY CARING and COOPERATIVE
A great way to learn is in cooperative groups.  
This allows chidlren to share ideas in a safe environment, learn from others with different abilities and have the chance to take on leadership roles

In the photos you will see groups of 3 or 4 children analysing good examples of writing, highlighting what they like the most and explaining why.





 You will also see shared writing.  
Our 6 cooperative groups wrote a short story or recount about their first day at school pretending they were a frightened five year old on their first day, standing at the doorway of their new classroom.

Below is the short story that was nominated as the most interesting to read:
We were attempting to use the features we liked in writing we analysed.
Written by Rochelle, Zoe, Lachlan and Rosa.

My First Day at School

I wobbled to the doorway, I froze.  The children stared at me, some looking excited, some amazed!  The next second, the teacher invited me to a free desk.  I crept forward slowly, scared.  I got asked to stand up the front and introduce myself to the whole class. 
“H-Hello,” I stammered. “My name is D-Daisy.” 

The teacher asked me to come and sit down on the mat.   “Hello class,” the teacher said.  “Today we will be adding numbers to make higher numbers.”  Suddenly, I felf a tap on my shoulder.  It was Poppy, one of the youngest children.  “Would you like to play with me?” 
A sudden burst of comfort shot through me.  “Sure,” I said in a relieved voice.  School was so much fun.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rm 10, Riley Day here, great to see all your awesome work, I am at my new school in Christchurch, it is going well. Riley

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fantastic writing Room 10!
    I still remember my first day at school even though I am realllllly old now. It is one of those memories that lasts forever....

    ReplyDelete