Monday, March 7, 2011

What makes RICH and INTERESTING Writing?

Room 10 have been analysing several different pieces of writing, tyring to figure out WHAT MAKES RICH and INTERESTING WRITING.




We found lots of different things help make writing interesting, but two things stood out for us:
SIMILES
DESCRIBING WORDS (adjectives)

SIMILES AND ADJECTIVES helped give us images when we read and helped to capture our imagination.

To practice using similes and adjectives Room 10 was set a challenge to describe Muritai's far field, pretending they just got off a space ship and landed on Earth and had never been there before.  We used our senses when we explored the field and described what we saw, heard, felt and smelt to a buddy before writing a descriptive recount of what the field was like.




Here's a few of our first drafts:
 
The Field

I wandered through the gate at Muritai School on the field I saw towering trees blinding me like beautiful emeralds shining down on me and seagulls with breasts as white as snow.  Cars and buses roared like lions.  Cicadas were creaking like doors in an old mansion.  The sun was as red as fire.  A mixture of happiness and excitement shot through me.

Written by Alexander
 
The Field at Muritai
 
I wandered through the far field.  I saw a tree with dribbly blood, a dead cockroach on a thick green branch.  I hear a roaring cicada like lions, I saw a blue flag waving to me.
Written by Jia Wei
 

No comments:

Post a Comment